Friday, July 1, 2011

Lost post: 6/7/09

[Ohhhh yeah... really digging back into the archives now, more than 2 years! I'm really not sure how I keep ending up with unpublished posts, particularly ones like below, which seems finished.]

Days of rest

Lately, I've really been digging Sundays. And really been taking them for what they are supposed to be: days of rest.

Now mind you, it's been quite a while since I actually worked on a Sunday, having a day job now. And it's not like Sundays had been reserved for busy errand-running or anything like that (I don't have a car, and Saturdays are much more practical for errand-running, as the buses run more often).

But lately I've been really getting rested on a Sunday. Maybe it's the onset of summer time that has spurred this, since Sundays in January are liable to find one huddled under a blanket, dreading that trip outside to take out the trash. Or, in my case, studying, now that I am back in the saddle of being a student (but this time around, one with a full-time job). So maybe part of it is the end of the semester, as well.

I've been relaxing with the cat. Catching up on a good book, or last month's issue of National Geographic (I'm somehow consistently a month or two behind). Maybe watching a nature program. Perhaps making some really good food. Hitting the museum free day with a friend. And absolutely, going to my church (sometimes twice. This may seem odd, because it is the same service, morning and evening. But most people wouldn't think twice about watching a good movie a second time). Not worrying about work, or paying bills, or doing the things that "have" to get done. Just taking time to enjoy the beautiful day, and rest.

The problem is that I notice it more now when my day of rest gets trumped by something else. For instance, every couple of months I have to be on call for a week, for work. So I couldn't predict whether I might end up having to work today (which still could happen). I went to church this morning with the on-call phone on silent, but had to check it periodically to see if anyone had called, as I'd need to get back to them within the half-hour (which, believe you me, was not how I wanted to be spending church). I can't head to the mountains for a hike on this gorgeous day, or commit to plans with friends (or even a nap with the cat, as it could be, at any time, interrupted). I cannot fully commit to getting rest on this Sunday. And that makes me wary of the week I am about to head into. I'm not getting my full chance to re-charge, to be ready for another round of work and life and everything else that a week entails.

So, how are you resting today? Taking a nap? Reading a good book? Spending some time outdoors, or with your pets, or your family? Visiting with friends? Savoring that really great chocolate you've been saving for a while? Taking time to worship in communion with others?

I know not everyone gets a Sunday. I've had numerous jobs in my life where that was the case. So maybe you don't have Sundays to rest. Find another day.

No comments: