Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quick post about someone doing cool stuff

So, just a quick note about my friend Brad. Because what he's doing right now makes me want to do more, too-- or at least thing about how I can do more (hey, if we're being honest here). Brad was one of the people I went to India with in 2010 with Pathways. At the time he was working in insurance estimates (going out to take snapshots of storm damage to homes, and things like that-- not terribly exciting) and expanding his photography skills (he happens to be a pretty terrific photographer).

Since then, he decided to give away his dog, sell his car, sell his house, and head off to serve others. Yesterday he left for at least two years in Zambia, working for Operation Mobilisation there (we worked with the Bangalore branch of OM India when we were there). I forget what his exact title is, but he is going to basically be in charge of telling stories of the work OM is doing in Zambia and the lives being touched there. Much cooler than hail damage, huh?

So anyway, if you want to hear more about what one person is doing to make a difference in the world-- in a simple, but still pretty radical way (I mean, I don't even own a house, but the idea of selling one to go work for two years and raising your own support, still seems pretty daunting)-- you should check out his blog, www.blivengood.com. Before leaving, Brad wasn't sure how often he'll have internet access to be able to update it, but hopefully there will be some word coming back over the next two years about the amazing journey he's just embarked on. (In the meantime, there's a little bit about why he's doing this. You can also see a few of the great pictures he took on the India trip.)

(As a fundraiser, Brad sold large prints of some of his pictures. I have a couple others too that I need to get frames for yet-- I wanted to see how this one worked out first-- but I wanted one from the India trip. Not that the Taj Mahal encompasses what that trip was all about, but I wanted one that sort of symbolized India as a whole, rather than a shot of one specific person or event. Even though for us, visiting the Taj was just one event, and didn't include any of the amazing people we met there. Still, I'm happy to have this image in my home.)

No comments: