Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How I feel about what you're giving up for Lent

(A special post for all the facebook peeps.)

Every year around this time (and for much of Lent itself) I hear a lot-- and see a lot posted around facebook-- about what people are giving up for Lent. It might be a food or beverage, a form or technology, or a bad habit. But before you share, please consider the following:

1. Please know why you're giving up whatever it is you're giving up. Different Christian traditions have somewhat different teachings about what our focus should be during Lent, and why people might choose to give up certain things ("fast" from them, as it were) during this season, but whatever your reasons, know them... and own them. If it's a way to get rid of something in your life that is distracting you from your relationship with God, then recognize that purpose and keep it at the forefront of your practice during Lent. If it's to better relate with Jesus during his time spent fasting and praying in the wilderness, own and remember that purpose. If you are choosing Lent as a good time to give up soda because you need to lose 10 pounds before bathing suit season, then own that, too. (And maybe don't pretend you're giving it up "for Lent." Just make those healthy life choices for yourself. They're not bad choices, but they're really not about Lent.)

2. I don't really want to hear about it. Well, this comes with a couple of caveats. Mostly, I think this is between you and God. But, I do think it can be helpful for others to be able to hold us accountable. So let those people in your life know what you're doing, and why, and how they can support you in this practice. Also, I do recognize that it can be good to share what we're doing in our faith journey, as an example for others. But don't just post "I'm giving up coffee for Lent!" as your facebook status-- do you really think everyone on your friends list knows why you're doing that? Instead, maybe thoughtfully word something that explains why you are choosing to give something up during the season of Lent, and opens up room for discussions, questions, sharing and learning from one another.

3. So what I even more mean when I say I don't want to hear about it... is that I really don't want to hear you whining about it. Because that facebook status usually ends up more like "I'm giving up coffee for Lent! OMG, what am I gonna do, I'm gonna be going crazy without my daily latte!" and then is followed by various even more whiny posts complaining about how deprived you're feeling, as Lent progresses. Possibly even a countdown to how many days you have left. So please see #1 again, remember your purpose, and behave in line with that. And with #2, for that matter-- are you showing others that Lent is about deprivation and whining, or about practices that help you grow closer to God?

4. Those of you who are already doing all of the above, carry on, and let me know if there's anything I can do to support you or pray for you. (Well, even if you're not doing the above, the latter half of that sentence still applies to you, too!)

That is all. :)

No comments: