So this evening, while at our absolutely wonderful new Wednesday night church service, we were singing the song "You alone," which has the lyrics:
You have given me more than
I could ever have wanted
and I just had one of those "whoa. yep." moments. Because it's so true-- well, no, not exactly true at all, in one sense anyway-- because this life is so much better than what I would have wanted for myself. I mean, don't get me wrong-- this life still has a lot of troubles, and a lot of things I would want for it, or want out of it, and a lot of pain and frustration and uncertainty. But if I'd had my way in things? I would be missing so many of the wonderful blessings I have in my life today.
I realized I've been saying "yeah, God knows what's best for me," but in the sense of a kid whose parent took away the ice cream cone because they knew it wasn't good for you-- but as the pouty little kid, you still wanted it. But God did not give me the life I have now as some sort of a consolation prize for me not getting to plan it all out myself and always get my (usually not terribly wise) way. He took away the proverbial ice cream cone, not only because it wasn't good for me, but because he wanted to replace it for me, with something even better.
So tonight I got to go to church and see a bunch of people I love dearly, and worship and grow together. And last Sunday evening I got to share with other people at church about our India trip-- I mean, I got to go to India, in case I freaking forgot that, and got to have an incredible blessed experience there. And then I got home from church and finally listened to my voicemail and had this little precious girl singing "happy birthday" and telling me "love you, Aunt Corrie." And this all does not even touch the tip of the ice berg. Especially in relative terms, in sharp relief (pun somewhat intended) against the ice cream cone of the life I would've wanted.
As the song says... I'm alive I'm alive I'm alive I'm alive. God is good, all the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment