Monday, May 16, 2011

Do something.

This evening, while watching a House episode that I'd missed, via Hulu, I saw a shorter version of the below video, and found it compelling enough to Google the initiative later on.

 

I'm glad that in another video on the site, it was indicated that we (as a planet) have much more than enough food to feed everyone. Which is true. There actually is plenty of food to go around. It's a matter of food distribution. Some have so much more than we need, while others have not nearly enough.

I'm not going to wax philosophical or political or any other -ical about the reasons why. This is about doing something about it.

If there's some other organization you prefer to support, other than the World Food Programme, then go for it. Do your research, ask your friends, find one that you trust or has a particular focus that is close to your heart. And yeah, spread the word too-- that's important.

But don't use any of the above as excuses not to actually do something. Like, right now. And unless that means you are about to physically go out and do something-- hop a plane or train, boat or car, or walk down to the homeless family on the corner and serve up some chow-- then that means giving your money. Sorry, but that's how it is. So skip your donut, or your coffee, or heck, your lunch even, and just do it. No excuses.

Because it could have been my niece or nephew who died of hunger or dirty water or another easily preventable illness today, but it wasn't. Just because of where they were born. So I get to be grateful for that, but sometimes saying thanks isn't enough. Sometimes being grateful means looking out for somebody else's niece or nephew or son or daughter or brother or sister or mother or father, even if you don't know that somebody and never will.

Because it's what we're supposed to do.

"I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat." (Matt 25:35)

No comments: