I'll keep this post short, as this is just a few thoughts I'm having while I'm listening to the pundits speculate on the circumstances and consequences of Osama bin Laden's death-- and watching my facebook news feed quickly convert to about 90% posts about this news.
Statements like these
(And I don't mean to call anyone out in particular-- but if you mind, well, you did put it out there):
"
Osama is getting the grand tour from Hitler! Satan has another roommate!!"
"Bin Laden: Sucks to be you!!!!"
"Ding dong the witch is dead... good riddance Osama Bin Laden."
"
Wow. Fire fight to capture the sack of shit. Imagine being the hero that got him. Amazing..... Let the savages get mad, and try to come over again."
"good riddance!"
All of the above statements were from people who profess-- at least on facebook and, in the cases where I have had opportunity to witness this, in their personal lives as well-- to be followers of Christ. And I just cannot picture him saying any of the above. At all. Like, ever.
God loves Osama bin Laden as much as he loves me. And is probably really really sad about how he spent his life, and that now that it is over he has no more opportunity to change that.
Meanwhile I'm seeing many much milder, more reflective and balanced responses posted by non-Christians.
Why?
I find it ridiculous that I feel the need to clarify that of course I don't support anything bin Laden did. Of course I am glad if this does indeed help lead to a decline in terror operations and loss of lives. Of course I am glad that he is no longer in operation, even if I would've rather seen that happen through his capture.
But why do I have to feel giddily joyful, gleeful, vengeful? Why should I have to rejoice over someone's assumed place in hell? Are you kidding me?
Christians really break my heart sometimes. No wonder we're so good at keeping people from seeing Christ. We can be such terrible reflections of him when we're not being careful.
2 comments:
So agree. Joann, NH
Fortunately, many Christians agree with you. Unfortunately I did not join others at work Friday at noon around the flagpole, on National Day of Prayer, because I know some who would be there could very well have made comments like you mention. So sad for them.
Post a Comment