So, for about the last week and half straight, I've had Christmas music through Pandora on at any time when I'm home. Seriously. I actually have several different Christmas-themed Pandora "channels": Christmas Radio, Feliz Navidad Radio, Peaceful Holidays Radio (I actually don't know when or how that one got added, because I thought I had just 2 at the beginning of the season), and I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas Radio (sadly, I have yet to hear that actually song this year). All have a bit different composition, and are great for different moods of Christmas-y-ness (do I want upbeat Christmas pop while cleaning the house? Instrumental and traditional carols while doing some holiday decorating? Or perhaps something in-between?)
So when you listen to that much Christmas music, you tend to hear the same songs over and over (though often in different versions), and that allows the words to sink in a little bit more. During the past week and a half, I've discovered some interesting lessons hidden (except, not-so-hidden) in your favorite holiday tunes (in no particular order):
1. It is quite reasonable to show up at a stranger's door and refuse to leave until they provide you with the dessert of your choosing. (We Wish You A Merry Christmas)
2. It is appropriate for eccentric old loners to watch you in your sleep, and if anything bad happens, it's your fault. (Santa Claus Is Coming To Town)
3. You should only be nice to others when they can do something for you. (Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer)
4. It is best to make important decisions like marriage while on a casual snowman-building expedition, and then wait till later to actually discuss it. (Walking In A Winter Wonderland)
5. As long as you're feeling sentimental, it's ok to RSVP "yes" and then leave people hanging. (I'll Be Home For Christmas)
6. People only go home for the holidays, for the food. (There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays)
7. No, really. Even your parents don't even really want you around for Christmas. (It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas)
8. It's fine to get your hesitant date drunk, to get her to stay the night. (Baby, It's Cold Outside)
9. Santa sounds a lot like Jesus. (Here Comes Santa Claus)
10. Well that makes sense, actually, because Jesus is the one who sent Santa. (Here Comes Santa Claus)
11. One I take particular offense to: "maiden aunts" clearly have nothing better to do than sit around and gossip. (Baby, It's Cold Outside)
12. It's perfectly acceptable to flaunt the direct orders of law enforcement. (Frosty The Snowman)
How could it be! Don't believe me? Check out the comments for the referenced quotes. Have I missed any? :)
(Hint: if you want to see the post and the lyrics in the comment at the same time, just click on the title of this post.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
1. "Oh bring us some figgy pudding.... we won't go until we get some, so bring some out here."
2. "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good , so be good for goodness sake! Oh, you better watch out!"
3. "All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names.... [Rudolph saves the day] ....Then all the reindeer loved him."
4. "In the meadow we can build a snowman, then pretend that he is Parson Brown. He'll say: Are you married? We'll say: No man, but you can do the job when you're in town. Later on, we'll conspire, as we dream by the fire, to face unafraid the plans that we've made."
5. "I'll be home for Christmas, you can plan on me.... I'll be home for Christmas-- if only in my dreams."
6. "I met a man who lives in Tennessee, and he was headin’ for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie."
7. "Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again."
8. "Say, what's in this drink?"
9. "So hang your stockings and say your prayers, 'cause Santa Claus comes tonight.... He doesn't care
if you're rich or poor, he loves you just the same. Santa knows that we're God's children, that makes everything right."
10. "Let's give thanks to the Lord above, 'cause Santa Claus comes tonight."
11. "My maiden aunt's mind is vicious."
12. "He led them down the streets of town, right to the traffic cop, and he only paused a moment when he heard him holler 'Stop!'"
Post a Comment