Imagine my delight when, after filling out the same form, it was Mattie again who came to take my vitals! She was surprised to learn I'd stayed healthy after my previous temperature. She quickly confirmed that none of my information had changed in the past few weeks, and I hadn't taken any international jaunts in the interim, so we could proceed to my various vital stuff.
Imagine my exasperation when, after she took my temperature, it once again read too high. Apparently, I am super hot. All the time. (Now, let me interject: 98.6 degrees F is an average. Not everyone runs at that temperature normally, even when completely healthy, and your temperature, like your weight, can vary a bit during the course of your day/life. But anyway, the "normal" temp translates to 37 degrees C, as any good science student knows. The highest temperature someone can have and still be allowed to donate is 37.5 C... so at my first reading of 37.6, I was about to get rejected again for having what amounts to... {drumroll please}... a 99.68. A mere one-degree temperature. Psh.) Fortunately, after taking my blood pressure (excellent as always) and my finger prick (I have good iron levels, since I know you were curious-- oh snap, despite being a vegetarian of 13+ years!), on the next reading my temperature came to 37.5 C. I know, because she showed me.
Next up, she led me out to where another nice lady by the name of Tracye was finishing up with another donor. I got all settled into my chair, Mattie got me a bottle of water, and Tracye did all her set-up gig, including doing something strange to my arm involving a drinking straw (I didn't ask). She got me hooked up and started taking blood (I didn't watch. I'd decided that was a good plan, before even going in).
I made it maybe a minute.
Getting all light-headed, Tracye and Mattie leaned my chair back, unhooked me, and put cold towels on my head and throat. Mattie was also trying to get me to cough hard, but I don't think I satisfied her, I was so busy trying to focus on not being lightheaded, and also on trying to contemplate how coughing hard would help a lightheaded person (I wasn't having a heart attack, after all). I was quite shortly feeling just fine.
"If that was your first time, I wouldn't try again," Mattie told me.
"No?" I inquired.
"Your body didn't like that blood coming out of it."
"It happened too quickly," Tracye agreed. "We didn't get that much red cells out of you, but your body reacted to it. It's not for everyone," she reassured me.
So apparently, my body freaks out and goes on the defensive against blood-letting. I don't suppose I can blame it for this. It actually seems to be a reasonably helpful defensive mechanism, evolutionarily speaking. People are not actually supposed to lose blood, under most circumstances.
Actually, I take that back. A really excellent adaptation against losing blood would have been if I freaked out and bit Tracye or something, before she started the blood draw. Once you're actually losing blood, it would be much more helpful to keep your wits about you, so the wild animal or whatever doesn't finish you off. And I don't actually have any issues with just naturally losing my own blood-- I mean, it's not something I do for fun on the weekends, but I remain quite calm and non-light-headed if ever I injure myself and start bleeding. I still think it's super cool how my fingerprint never grew back after I plum sliced a chunk off of it while in India two-plus years ago. And self-injury seems like a much less problematic situation to get light-headed in. You're not necessarily in as immediate danger of being killed or eaten. Hmm...
![]() |
| Got the snazzy green gauze to prove it. |
I told them that I would just tell everyone else to donate. So here's my pitch: go give your blood! It's for the children. (Seriously, if you live in the Denver area, I highly recommend the blood donation center at Children's. They are super laid-back, friendly, and competent.) If you are somewhere else... well, it's still for the children, or the adults, or whatever. If I can try (this actually makes 3x now, though only 2x since I started this goal), so can you. At least give it a shot.
| Children's Hospital. They-- or someplace else-- would be happy to have your blood. |

No comments:
Post a Comment