This random tidbit has no real input from me, just wanted to share something I found super cool. If you're mystified by my recent love affair with all things microbial (and more specifically, all things bacterial-- I mean sure, viruses are cool and all, but they're a little freaky. I'm still not entirely sure if they're alive. And I still really don't quite get exactly what archaeans are). But anyway... I came across this TEDTalk because at some point recently I was having a conversation with someone (a female. Maybe a co-worker? But also, possibly a classmate or another friend. See, I'm at a loss here) and we were having a conversation about something and they were like "Do you know TEDTalks? There's one about ___[thing we were discussing]___, just search for ___[key phrase about the video]___ and you'll find it. You'd like it." Except, I'm not just being cryptic-- I have no recollection of what topic we were discussing, that there is a TEDTalk about that I would supposedly be interested in. So now I'm a little sad, but in trying to jog my memory I have been perusing all sorts of other delights on the TED site, and came across this one. (By the way, how are there only two TEDTalks with the "bacteria" tag? Shameful.)
Anyhow, it's about quorum sensing... sort of. I mean, she dumbs it down-- I'm all for simplifying things, but bacteria do not actually "vote" or "count." As long as you can keep in mind that bacteria are not actually sitting around plotting their next move (seeing as, you know, they don't have brains, being single-celled and all), this should not mislead you too far. :) Also, has some really fascinating stuff about how V. fischerii (the bioluminescent bacteria she talks about) are commensal with these squid they live in, and also about using quorum sensing to target antibiotic-resistant bacteria. (Those details, I hadn't actually learned in microbiology.) See? You're pumped already, aren't you?!?
:) Enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment